[FFmpeg-devel] Query from Reuters on XZ, open source, and Microsoft

Romain Beauxis romain.beauxis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 21:13:31 EEST 2024

On Wed, Apr 3, 2024, 11:39 Kieran Kunhya via ffmpeg-devel <
ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> Hi Raphael,
>
> I was the author of the tweet and I gave a short talk about this topic at
> Demuxed at a video conference last year:
> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OIyOEuQQsCQ&t=930s
>
> That said this is a community project and it would be best to continue the
> discussion on this mailing list unless agreed otherwise.

Thank you for sharing your talk. It's indeed unfortunate that large
companies are not more generous with the projects they depend on _heavily_

I would like to offer a constructive feedback really not intended as
trolling. I believe that supporting a more modern development workflow such
as the GitHub PR or gitlab MR would go very long way in helping onboarding
new developers.

I have been trying to contribute to the project for perhaps 18 months and,
while I think I'm getting better at it, I still find it incredibly complex
and hard to ramp up to.

The other open source community that I am involved with, the OCaml
compiler, moved to GitHub maybe 5/6 years ago and this has really done
wonders bringing in new contributors. And, you know, this is a niche
compiler that is also not getting much attention from AI/Machine Learning
people.