[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request

Lynne dev at lynne.ee
Fri Jun 25 11:14:42 EEST 2021

Jun 24, 2021, 22:59 by stefasab at gmail.com:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 2:04 PM Michael Niedermayer
> <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> > iam also adding stefano to the CC as there was some communication between
>> > a few developers and SPI about this expense and iam not sure stefano is following
>> > the ML
>>
>> to re-animate this thread
>> cryptos seem down and miners seem fleeing china.
>> Has this had any positive effect on availability/prices of hardware ?
>> if yes, this may be a good opertunity
>>

> Sorry for missing the previous email. If there are no other volunteers
> and SPI agrees, I can pay in advance and ask the refund for myself.
> I think we agreed with a max expense of ~4K EUR, but maybe prices
> dropped in the meantime.

The prices have dropped a little, but the biggest difference is that
stuff is *actually* available now.

Unfortunately, now is not a good time to build an entire system.
Socket AM4's finished, so if I build an AMD system, it'll be obsolete
within a year or so, and it'll be non-upgradable.
Intel's Rocket Lake was such a giant slow flop, and its socket is also
getting obsoleted by Intel once Alder Lake gets released later this year,
and it doesn't support DDR5 anyway. And again, Rocket Lake was such
a giant mess.

Right now, I think what I ought to do is buy a box, a PSU, SSD, a GPU,
and a monitor. And scavenge some old motherboard+cpu+ram from somewhere
where no one will miss it. Donations accepted.

I'm thinking of getting a:
    LG UltraGear 27GN950-B
    Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
    POWERCOLOR RX 6900XT OC LIQUIDDEVIL
    Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
    Fractal Design Ion+ 860W

Which I can find locally for around 3K euros, without any hunting for prices
and just using Amazon. They'll likely be maybe 10% or even 20% cheaper
in Germany, where geizhals.eu is usable and applicable.