[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Fri Jun 25 14:25:57 EEST 2021

On 25.06.2021 10:14, Lynne wrote:
> The prices have dropped a little, but the biggest difference is that
> stuff is *actually* available now.
>
> Unfortunately, now is not a good time to build an entire system.
> Socket AM4's finished, so if I build an AMD system, it'll be obsolete
> within a year or so, and it'll be non-upgradable.
> Intel's Rocket Lake was such a giant slow flop, and its socket is also
> getting obsoleted by Intel once Alder Lake gets released later this year,
> and it doesn't support DDR5 anyway. And again, Rocket Lake was such
> a giant mess.

I don't think waiting for AM5 and DDR5 is worth it at the moment.
You'll be early-adopting a platform, which is always a bit iffy.

DDR5 prices will also be more than double of DDR4 initially.

> Right now, I think what I ought to do is buy a box, a PSU, SSD, a GPU,
> and a monitor. And scavenge some old motherboard+cpu+ram from somewhere
> where no one will miss it. Donations accepted.
>
> I'm thinking of getting a:
>      LG UltraGear 27GN950-B
>      Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
>      POWERCOLOR RX 6900XT OC LIQUIDDEVIL
>      Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
>      Fractal Design Ion+ 860W
>
> Which I can find locally for around 3K euros, without any hunting for prices
> and just using Amazon. They'll likely be maybe 10% or even 20% cheaper
> in Germany, where geizhals.eu is usable and applicable.

Do you really need a 6900XT? Every review I saw of those commented on
their horrible price/performance ratio. Similarly overpriced as the RTX3090.

Would a 6800XT not work fine as well?

Or maybe a combination of two smaller cards, like one RTX3070 and one
6700XT, so you can test against both targets? Which would combined still
be cheaper than a single 6900XT.