[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Suggestion for a Nicer Integration with GitHub

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Aug 13 21:09:51 EEST 2021

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 03:14:36PM +0000, Soft Works wrote:
[...]
> > You do not need anybody's permission either to set up a gateway that
> > will re-post GitHub's PR and comments to the mailing-list and
> > reciprocally
>
> I would need permission to github/ffmpeg/ffmpeg in order to set
> up the automation hooks.

what exactly is needed to be done, what exact permission is needed
are we talking about adding a link  /API key somewhere or
continues maintaince of some parameters which require specific
permissions?

> Also I wouldn't do it as long as there is at least some kind
> of "let's try it out as an experiment" feedback from here.

I think ultimately none of us knows how it would look/behave before
its done. So its hard to avoid that it would be an experiment

> > If it results in noise on the mailing list, like mails
> > without context quote and flawed patches, you will be firmly asked to
> > disable it. This is the result I expect, because if you make posting
> > the mailing-list as easy as three clicks, you may get a few competent
> > people who find mailing-lists annoying, but you will mostly enable
> > idiots who cannot do four clicks and a few keystrokes in sequence.
>
> It is really not my intention to generate noise on the ML from
> low-quality PRs.
> GGG maintains a list of developers who are allowed to submit
> patches to the ML from a GitHub PR.
> If you are not on that list, you need one of those who already
> have permission to approve you (= add to this list).
>
> So for a first-time submitter the procedure would be as follows:
>
> - Create your PR
>   (but not allowed to submit it to the ML)
> - Find a developer who has permission, point him to your PR
>   and ask for approval to submit to the ML
> - Existing developer might approve you
> - You can post "/submit" as a comment in your PR and only then
>   it would be sent to the ML
>
> With that mechanism in place, I wouldn't be concerned that much
> about the mailing list getting spammed by nonsense PRs.

I do not know "GGG", but what happens once a PR is submitted to the ML?
People will write replies on the ML to comment, ask for changes and so forth.
Simlarly on github PRs can receive comments, reviews, approvals and so on
is there some routing of such comments between PR and ML ?

another thing needed, if we would allow PRs is that automated fate testing
of such PRs should be implemented. Thats a great way to filter out bad PRs
beyond just a author list

Thanks

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle