[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Suggestion for a Nicer Integration with GitHub

Soft Works softworkz at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 14 02:53:54 EEST 2021

This is implemented via typescript functions running on Azure,
so it will be rather a one time setup, at the side of the GitHub
repository and maintenance can be done at the Azure site.

BTW, do you own https://dev.azure.com/ffmpeg or has somebody else
registered that one?

I could register something like ffmpeg_sync or ffmpeg_ggg otherwise
and transfer ownership to the project later (or upfront).

> > Also I wouldn't do it as long as there is at least some kind
> > of "let's try it out as an experiment" feedback from here.
>
> I think ultimately none of us knows how it would look/behave before
> its done. So its hard to avoid that it would be an experiment

Surely true.

But even when it wouldn’t work well in terms of submitting - the
other direction alone would be a great value IMO: being able to
view patches submitted to the ML mirrored as GitHub PRs.
This allows viewing patches in context of the latest master-HEAD
without needing to fetch latest, download patch and apply patch
locally.

> I do not know "GGG", but what happens once a PR is submitted to the
> ML?
> People will write replies on the ML to comment, ask for changes and
> so forth.
> Simlarly on github PRs can receive comments, reviews, approvals and
> so on
> is there some routing of such comments between PR and ML ?

Yes there is, but currently only from mailing list back as a PR comment
PR comments are not yet sent to the ML. Need to find out the reason
why the aren't doing it or add this functionality.
Essentially, developers are still required to reply on the mailing list.

But what's nice is that developers can make the requested changes
to their PR source branch, /submit again and GGG will automatically
submit this as v2..vN patchset.

I think it's best to look an example:

https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1006

> another thing needed, if we would allow PRs is that automated fate
> testing
> of such PRs should be implemented. Thats a great way to filter out
> bad PRs beyond just a author list

Yes absolutely. This can be done just normally as GitHub checks/actions:

- Conformance of submit message
- Compilation (ideally multiple platforms)
- FATE
- Possibly some code style checking
(for GIT, they have set up 46 checks currently)

They don't make successful completion of all checks a requirement,
but that's something I would possibly change.

What I'm still thinking about is the part about hooking into ML
e-mail reception. They are using https://public-inbox.org/
for GIT, but it would need to be hosted somewhere.
Either I'll figure out a different way or I'll self-host it for an
initial phase.

Regards,
softworkz