[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Suggestion for a Nicer Integration with GitHub

Soft Works softworkz at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 13 18:14:36 EEST 2021

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ffmpeg-devel <ffmpeg-devel-bounces at ffmpeg.org> On Behalf Of
> Nicolas George
> Sent: Friday, 13 August 2021 11:54
> To: FFmpeg development discussions and patches <ffmpeg-
> devel at ffmpeg.org>
> Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Suggestion for a Nicer Integration
> with GitHub

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for a reasonable reply this time.

Let me re-order a bit and focus on the productive parts:

> On the other hand, if your sole contribution here is to say "you
> should
> do that", then you will probably get nowhere.

Developing something like this from scratch would have been outside
of my available time frame, but adapting and setting up the GGG
implementation for ffmpeg is something I would in fact offer
to volunteer for.

> You do not need anybody's permission either to set up a gateway that
> will re-post GitHub's PR and comments to the mailing-list and
> reciprocally

I would need permission to github/ffmpeg/ffmpeg in order to set
up the automation hooks.

Also I wouldn't do it as long as there is at least some kind
of "let's try it out as an experiment" feedback from here.

> If it results in noise on the mailing list, like mails
> without context quote and flawed patches, you will be firmly asked to
> disable it. This is the result I expect, because if you make posting
> the mailing-list as easy as three clicks, you may get a few competent
> people who find mailing-lists annoying, but you will mostly enable
> idiots who cannot do four clicks and a few keystrokes in sequence.

It is really not my intention to generate noise on the ML from
low-quality PRs.
GGG maintains a list of developers who are allowed to submit
patches to the ML from a GitHub PR.
If you are not on that list, you need one of those who already
have permission to approve you (= add to this list).

So for a first-time submitter the procedure would be as follows:

- Create your PR
  (but not allowed to submit it to the ML)
- Find a developer who has permission, point him to your PR
  and ask for approval to submit to the ML
- Existing developer might approve you
- You can post "/submit" as a comment in your PR and only then
  it would be sent to the ML

With that mechanism in place, I wouldn't be concerned that much
about the mailing list getting spammed by nonsense PRs.

softworkz