[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Suggestion for a Nicer Integration with GitHub

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Fri Aug 13 12:53:49 EEST 2021

Soft Works (12021-08-12):
> Yes, that's not what you wrote, but that attitude was shining out
> between the lines very clearly.

You are entirely responsible for your interpretation and all the
negative consequences it entails.

> > If you want the project to change its way of working to accommodate
> > you
> > before we even know if you will be submitting quality patches for the
> > long run... go grok some PHP or something.

> BTW, I think that would be a great text for the website section "Contributing".

Of course it would be. Unless you are writing this ironically? Do you
really expect a project to kotow to unknown people?

> This is not about developers being incapable to work with the
> mailing list.

The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating.

You do not need anybody's permission to set up a meeting place for
wannabe developers to help each other getting up to speed and to add a
pointer to it on the wiki. Nor do you need anybody's permission to look
at patches on the mailing-list, and reply to the ones that have obvious
flaws to direct them to your forum.

If your endeavor results in more patches submitted to the mailing-list
in good shape on the first try, then you would have proved its
usefulness and can expect official support.

You do not need anybody's permission either to set up a gateway that
will re-post GitHub's PR and comments to the mailing-list and
reciprocally. If it results in noise on the mailing list, like mails
without context quote and flawed patches, you will be firmly asked to
disable it. This is the result I expect, because if you make posting to
the mailing-list as easy as three clicks, you may get a few competent
people who find mailing-lists annoying, but you will mostly enable
idiots who cannot do four clicks and a few keystrokes in sequence. But I
would gladly realize I was wrong.

On the other hand, if your sole contribution here is to say "you should
do that", then you will probably get nowhere.

So... bake your pudding, and we will sample it.

> It's about developers being unwilling to participate due to
> the outdated and inferior (from their pov) tooling.

... But honestly, I doubt somebody who refuses to consider the merits of
our work-flow would be qualified to help newbies to adapt to our
work-flow.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George