[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

vectronic hello.vectronic at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:25:37 EEST 2020

> On 7 Jul 2020, at 12:13, Anton Khirnov <anton at khirnov.net> wrote:
>
> Quoting Nicolas George (2020-07-07 12:46:39)
>>
>> * GMail's warnings about "less secure" applications are scare tactics to
>>  get you to exclusively use their products, because they cannot feed
>>  you advertisement when you use a real mail client with their IMAP and
>>  SMTP servers.
>
> VERY much agree
> We should not go along with these attempts to build a walled garden
> around email.

+1

>> But be very careful to not make them mandatory.
>
> +1
> Any change that makes it necessary to use a web browser for development
> a big step back IMO.

+1

I think the key is choice. For example on GitHub people are able to contribute to the same project using any or all of: IDE plugins, the GitHub web UI or the standard git client CLI.
I am not proposing GitHub, just saying that being able to choose the mode of interaction is attractive.

> There are public APIs for github and gitlab that make it possible in
> theory to develop CLI tools for them. But AFAIK the currently existing
> gitlab tools are too primitive for serious use, the github ones are more
> advanced but still limited compared to the web interface.
>
> Also, gitlab and github are not the only options. Sourcehut[1] looks
> quite appealing to me and should be considered.
>
> In any case, I think there should be a dedicated discussion and a vote
> about any proposed change in development process.

In terms of issue management and patch reviews etc. what is the view of people with respect to these two systems (which are as far as I know only web based):

https://trac.ffmpeg.org <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/>

https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project/ffmpeg/list/ <https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project/ffmpeg/list/>

vs the usage of terminal based mail client and mailing lists?