[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Tue Jul 7 14:13:35 EEST 2020

Quoting Nicolas George (2020-07-07 12:46:39)

> * GMail's warnings about "less secure" applications are scare tactics to
>   get you to exclusively use their products, because they cannot feed
>   you advertisement when you use a real mail client with their IMAP and
>   SMTP servers.

VERY much agree
We should not go along with these attempts to build a walled garden
around email.

> But be very careful to not make them mandatory.

+1
Any change that makes it necessary to use a web browser for development
a big step back IMO.

There are public APIs for github and gitlab that make it possible in
theory to develop CLI tools for them. But AFAIK the currently existing
gitlab tools are too primitive for serious use, the github ones are more
advanced but still limited compared to the web interface.

Also, gitlab and github are not the only options. Sourcehut[1] looks
quite appealing to me and should be considered.

In any case, I think there should be a dedicated discussion and a vote
about any proposed change in development process.

[1] https://sourcehut.org/

--
Anton Khirnov