[FFmpeg-devel] LibVA hardware acceleration support for ffmpeg command line.

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos
Fri Aug 6 16:02:30 CEST 2010

Meekys <meekys <at> adam.com.au> writes:

> I've been poking around at the ffmpeg code a bit the last couple of weeks
> trying to get the ffmpeg command line tool to support hardware acceleration.

[rant]
Was I always right, and VA-API is so broken that every patch related to it must
be completely useless and broken?
[/rant]

Seriously: While I still believe that VA-API is _completely_ useless without a
de-interlacing API, I am convinced that many people were waiting for this!

So please:
Use svn (and svn di), read http://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#SEC4 (and the
following paragraphs), copy a license header from the FFmpeg tree, use
tools/patcheck and do not compress the resulting patch, it isn't so big.

What CPU is it where you get a speed improvement?
On this list, it was always commonly agreed that speed improvements are unlikely
on real-world hardware, and my E8400 is significantly faster than all PureVideo
generations.

Carl Eugen