[FFmpeg-devel] LibVA hardware acceleration support for ffmpegcommand line.

Meekys meekys
Tue Aug 10 16:24:55 CEST 2010

> From: "Carl Eugen Hoyos" <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
>
> Seriously: While I still believe that VA-API is _completely_ useless without a
> de-interlacing API, I am convinced that many people were waiting for this!
>
> So please:
> Use svn (and svn di), read http://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#SEC4 (and the
> following paragraphs), copy a license header from the FFmpeg tree, use
> tools/patcheck and do not compress the resulting patch, it isn't so big.
>
> What CPU is it where you get a speed improvement?
> On this list, it was always commonly agreed that speed improvements are unlikely
> on real-world hardware, and my E8400 is significantly faster than all PureVideo
> generations.
>
> Carl Eugen

I have to admit, I'm not completely up to scratch with all the latest in the VA-API or ffmpeg worlds.
I just found something I wanted it to do that wasn't there, so I thought I'd put it in.

I've followed the instructions as best I can and come up with a new patch using svn di.
It should do everything except the config.mak changes, as I'm unsure how to modify the configure script to do this.
> config.mak
>  Add a line: VA_LIBS=-L/usr/lib -lva -lva-x11
>  Before: SDL_LIBS=-L/usr/lib -lSDL

The CPU I was using for testing is an AMD 64 X2 4600+ which doesn't quite handle real-time decoding for me.
The patch pushes it over the edge and allows it to work smoothly.

Cheers,
Sean (Meekys)