[FFmpeg-devel] Stream selection - how to?

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Thu Jul 3 16:34:09 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> First explain what stream relations you are talking about and vs. what
> other non relations it has to be distinguished from.
>
> We have AVProgram to seperate unrelated stream bundles. We have
> disposition, language, codec.bitrate/width/height/sample_rate/CODEC_TYPE_*
> to seperate the streams within such a stream bundle.

I'm talking about related (so not DVB-like bundles as in AVProgram)
streams, such as a RTSP/MMS stream with different codecs/bitrates.

Let's start with this one: how do I select language W or bitrate
X(k)bps-Y(k)bps or codec Z in ffplay (regardless of input) or using
the libavformat API?

(Please don't answer that this belongs in ffmpeg-user, I'm trying to
get to the developer side of it. :). My expectation is that it's not
fully implemented in ffplay and (even when it is) I want to implement
it - fully - for use with RTSP where it's not implemented anyway.)

Ronald