[FFmpeg-devel] Stream selection - how to?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jul 3 16:25:06 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:07:46AM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what's the current status / TODO of stream selection? I noticed
> AVStream::disposition, how does that work? Is there documentation? For
> example, do I set st->id to the same number for all streams? Or is
> there another way that makes apps understand which streams belong
> together (maybe just by CODEC_TYPE_*)? Is there any for which it is
> implemented in such a way that it works with ffplay (including
> available sample streams that I can play with)? If not, how is it
> proposed to work in apps and how is it proposed to be implemented in
> ffplay (I'd make the patch if I know what's left to do and how it
> should work).

First explain what stream relations you are talking about and vs. what
other non relations it has to be distinguished from.

We have AVProgram to seperate unrelated stream bundles. We have
disposition, language, codec.bitrate/width/height/sample_rate/CODEC_TYPE_*
to seperate the streams within such a stream bundle.

Comments welcome of course.

Thouse who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.