[Ffmpeg-devel] samples database

Roberto Togni r_togni
Sun Jul 9 23:50:17 CEST 2006

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 23:17:55 +0200
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:13:46 -0700
> Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
>
> > Let's get back to purpose. What exactly are you looking to accomplish,
> > i.e., what input do you want to provide and what output do you expect to
> > receive? I ask because I rather believed that the MultimediaWiki already
> > achieved the general task of pointing people to samples based on various
> > criteria. Can you just use the Wiki to document the samples collection
> > in other ways?
>
> The goal is to catalog and categorize all the samples we have,
> so that given any criteria, all matching files can be found.
>
> Yes, your wiki does part of this job, but the key word here
> is _all_. There is no point in having such a big samples collection
> if the samples cannot be found, resp only a small percentage
> of them is used because noone knows about the others.

My goal in this task is to be able to find samples that have some
features.

Suppose you need to fing a sample of CVID video: you go to the
samples/V-codecs/CVID directory, or you go to the mediawiki and look at
cvid page. Task accomplished.

Suppose you need it in avi container: you just have to browse the
CVID directory and look for avi files.

Now things get more difficult: you want it in matroska container. There
are no mkv files in CVID directory. Dose any of the files in mkv dirs
have CVID video? The only way to find out is to check them all; and
unless you already have the files, you have to download all of them.

Another typical scenario is: I fixed something in CVID codec, and I
want all the samples with CVID video to check if I broke something; how
can i get them?

Basically the problem of a "directory" sorting (be it phisical or
virtual) is that the content is sorted with just one key, a searchable
system aims to solve this.

Ciao,
 Roberto