[Ffmpeg-devel] [bugs] grabbing v4l2 -> buffer underflow ; packet too large ; pcm_s16le vs mp2

Måns Rullgård mru
Fri Feb 24 15:37:07 CET 2006

Erik Slagter said:
> On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 14:13 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>
>> > BTW what is the added value for trying to support all codecs in program
>> > streams? IMHO if you don't want to use avi, mp4 suits this use much
>> > better because it can handle all sorts of codecs natively.
>>
>> The problem with mp4 is that it is virtually impossible to read or write
>> properly.  Haven't you been following the discussion this week?
>
> LOL :-) What do you think :-)
>
> Anyway, I have a target set for myself to make the ffmpeg mp4 output as
> "good" as possible. In the meantime, people that want really correct mp4
> output can call the help of gpac to remux the stream. But I am really
> confident that we get mp4 really good, sooner or later, one has to be
> optimistic :-)

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get it right.  However, I just don't
get the point in making the format so complicated for no apparent gain.

> For myself I'd rather put effort in mp4 than in more or
> less obsoleted technology like mpeg1/2 containers.

Obsoleted?  Do you ever watch TV?  DVD?  That's MPEG2 all the way.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com