[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: AVOptions

Burkhard Plaum plaum
Wed Sep 14 11:23:23 CEST 2005

Hi,

> > The long_name is more human readable (e.g. for GUI labels). It can be
> > translated to any language/charset without affecting any internal stuff.
>
> this is currently not interresting, a long name or description can be added
> later (you can send a patch which adds one to every AVOption if you like)

Just thought, that the translation/charset issues discussed before are not
critical, if we use 2 names for each AVOption.

> the problem with something like this is not the API design side but
> the maintainance side, who is going to keep track of which option works
> with which codec?

The main task would be to figure all supported options for each codec, and
I would really like to help with that.
I guess that quite a lot of codecs (especially the old, simple ones like
qtrle) have no options at all.

I don't know how often options are added/removed for exisiting codecs.
But if the AVOption mechanism is widely adopted in existing programs,
the one who changes/adds/removes codec parameters will also want to update
the AVOptions for this codec.

[...]

> furthermore max/min values also differ between codecs and so on

Isn't this one more reason to keep the supported AVOptions per codec and
not globally?

Cheers

Burkhard