[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: AVOptions

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje
Wed Sep 14 01:40:43 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 23:38 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 04:33:51PM +0000, Burkhard Plaum wrote:
> > Another issue might be, that there are lots of options defined in utils.h,
> > but there is no way to find out, which option applies for which codec.
> > If I create e.g. a mjpeg codec, av_next_option() should never return any
> > options, which are only for h263+.
> >
> > A possible approach to implement this follows:
>
> the problem with something like this is not the API design side but
> the maintainance side, who is going to keep track of which option works
> with which codec? as long as noone volunteers its not worth discussing any
> further
> furthermore max/min values also differ between codecs and so on

Right. The thing is, it makes applications (not so much the programming
side of it or plain old ./ffmpeg_g, but the user experience side of it,
so things like advanced documentation and so on, mplayer --help per
codec, or some tooltips for codec options in a GStreamer-based
application using ffmpeg plugins) a lot easier. I, for one, would very
much encourage having something like this, and wouldn't mind having to
do some of this work myself (if we can decide on a common approach).

Cheers,
Ronald