[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: AVOptions

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Sep 14 13:19:39 CEST 2005

Hi

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 09:23:23AM +0000, Burkhard Plaum wrote:
[...]
> > the problem with something like this is not the API design side but
> > the maintainance side, who is going to keep track of which option works
> > with which codec?
>
> The main task would be to figure all supported options for each codec, and
> I would really like to help with that.
> I guess that quite a lot of codecs (especially the old, simple ones like
> qtrle) have no options at all.
>
> I don't know how often options are added/removed for exisiting codecs.
> But if the AVOption mechanism is widely adopted in existing programs,
> the one who changes/adds/removes codec parameters will also want to update
> the AVOptions for this codec.

iam glad you tell me what i want, i wouldnt have known otherwise

so as to clarify things, a developer who adds a new option or codec must not
be required to test all combinations and find all legal max/min values, (s)he
certainly should but if (s)he doesnt then things must work too

i would prefer not to change this without a much better understanding of the
amount of work this would cause
and as you suggest that you wish to help with the codec-option compatibility
i guess we just need to wait for your API suggestions and patches to see
how easy it is

Michael