[rtmpdump] rutube.ru dumping stopped working: ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket , failed to read RTMP packet header

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Sun Apr 17 10:56:18 CEST 2011

Oleg G wrote:
>> I tried your server, it did not have my original problem but was not
>> entirely normal either.  The transfer was interrupted and resumed by
>> rtmpdump itself numerous times.  Eventually it finished, having
>> downloaded ~62MB, which is definitely much larger than the actual size
>> of this 2 min video.  And it didn't play well, skipped around, in vlc.
>> Did you see these resumes?  What size did you download?  I suppose it
>> may behave differently based on region.
> ~20MB for me. And yes, video is played with repetitions in some places.
> As I can see while downloading server sends many times sequence of the commands:
>
> NetStream.Pause.Notify
> NetStream.Unpause.Notify
> NetStream.Play.Start

Those are an indication that rtmpdump detected a timeout from the server.
rtmpdump sends a Pause followed by an Unpause when it detects a timeout,
because that usually wakes the server back up. In this case, the server has
responded to those two commands and has then said that Playback is starting again.

> I think this cause a problem with repetitions while playing.

Should not happen, since the Pause/Unpause commands all specify what timestamp
to stop and start at, and rtmpdump strips out any duplicate frames.

> But when we use player
> from the site I can see that there is no NetStream.Pause.Notify and other commands
> from this sequence in the stream. So, behavior of the server is different for their player
> and for rtmpdump.

Then you really need to see why the stream is timing out in the first place.
Probably the server doesn't like the large buffersize that rtmpdump uses by
default, and you'll need to use a smaller buffer (and thus download more slowly).