[NUT-devel] revisions for nut-english.txt?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Feb 5 14:33:10 CET 2008

Hi

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 01:21:33AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> > And the protocol "whatever its called ;)" will give you a multi nut in your
> > case, like it or not. You will either need a double layer protocol or double
> > layer demuxer. Because mpeg-ts comes out of it currently, and if you replace
> > it by your protocol+nut, then your protocol+nut will come out.
>
> Depends on what you're talking about it "coming out" of. No one says
> that an interleaved mess of video, html, email, pings, etc. comes out
> of the ethernet, because there's an appropriate layer delivering to
> the application only the data it's interested in (and which belongs to
> it).
>
> My intent was never for such monstrosities to be written to disk as a
> single file, but separated at the transport level. Of course even if
> they did remain on disk, it's like talking about zip or rar files. The
> possibility that someone might put two separate nut programs in some
> ugly wrapping structure on disk doesn't mean nut should support
> multiple programs internally any more than the possibility that
> someone might create a .rar file containing a nut file and windows
> codec binaries together means that nut should support embedding
> windows codec dlls in the headers...

Ill give a concrete example
A user has a DVD with menus and some alternative scenes/chapters.
With my design he just transcodes this in a single nut file and can play it.
With your design, he has to transcode this into maybe 50+ files somehow kept
together in an archive, lets say a .tar. With some unspecified way to store
menus and all the support structures.

ffplay, mplayer, ffmpeg, xine, vlc, ... will then get a command line argument
called mydvd.tar

There is no mysterious protocol between the file/http/ftp/... protocol and the
demuxer unless such new second layer protocol or demuxer is implemented. Its
not a natural part of file io to turn your single file into 50 streams easy
useable and seekable by the demuxer. And i dont even want to start thinking
about non seekable input or what effect that would have on complexity.

[...]

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato