[NUT-devel] revisions for nut-english.txt?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Feb 5 14:21:19 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 01:21:33AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:

> > > I don't see how the extra layer of IP helps anything here. :) Really
> > > what I'm looking for is just a way that the _stream_ layer (byteio or
> > > whatever it's called in ffmpeg framework) would output a plain NUT
> > > stream for the selected program among whatever programs are being
> > > transmitted over the physical channel that the hardware is receiving.
> > > I don't care so much how it's done. My point all along has just been
> > > that I believe this is at a very different layer from multiplexing
> > > different parts of a single program which are meant to be synchronized
> > > and presented together.
> >
> > Iam still waiting for the patch for ffmpeg...
>
> Code is only justified for implementing a solution that's already
> designed and specified. Throwing code at something new is a sign of
> amateurs.

Designing things which cannot be implemented with reasonable complexity.
Is plain and simple bad design.
But then you dont even provide any design you just vaguly point toward
some mysterious protocols.

And i can also describe a kernel, compiler and browser in a few vague and
simple sounding words, this doesnt make the implementation simple.

Also fact is, users will give a damn about your incest theorems. If they
want menus, multiple programs, ... in their files they will use a container
supporting that.
Noone will sit down and start designing and then implementing the protocols
and other support structures vaguly pointed at by you. And in the end that
just leads to a double container containing everything the users want.

[...]

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.