[MPlayer-users] AVFifoBuffer error

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Mon Apr 29 22:39:55 EEST 2024

Hi Nomiya-san!

On 2024-04-29 10:09 +0900, Masaru Nomiya wrote:

> I have been suffering from the following error for some time now and
> have been unable to build;
>
> [...]
> nu/menu.o libmenu/menu.c
> libao2/ao_jack.c:74:8: error: unknown type name 'AVFifoBuffer'
>    74 | static AVFifoBuffer *buffer;
>       |        ^~~~~~~~~~~~
> In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkobject.h:37,
> [...]
>
> I have not been able to find the cause of this error, which occurs
> regardless of the gcc version.
>
> I would be very grateful if you could help me.

The error is because ao jack is yet repaired after latest major
bumps of FFmpeg.

There are 3 options:

1. Configure with --disable-jack
2. Compile against an older ffmpeg release e.g. 6.1.1
3. Use this experimental patch I sent to mplayer development mailing list:
   https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/attachments/20240409/b46ad60a/attachment-0001.patch

The problem with option 3 is that it is technically wrong. The new
ffmpeg FIFO is not for use by multiple threads. That means while the
patch worked for me as far as I could hear, it may make problems on
other machines and maybe just from time to time.

Are you using ao jack for audio playback with mplayer?

I intend to implement a correct solution that uses a thread safe FIFO,
but I can't tell when I will have the time.

Best regards,
  Alexander

[...]