[MPlayer-users] Purpose of some libraries (Openssl,Xv,Xxf86vm)

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Mon Jun 26 18:34:12 EEST 2023

alexandre schenberg wrote on Sun, 04 Jun 2023 22:05:46 -0300:

> OpenSSL: Necessary for internet interaction, such as online streaming.

With https websites being involved.

> DirectFB: Framebuffer support with more bells and whitles.

You can say so.

> Xv: Improves video playback performance.

Yes, see 'man Xv'.

> Xx86vm: Allows to change stuff such as: brightness,contrast, on the fly.

Nope, just switching the video mode.

> ALSA audio: More than sound source can play simultaneously.

The "standard" sound architecture, part of the Linux kernel.

> Pulse:  Might be necessary to allow sound with distortion

Audio output through PulseAudio, a network-capable sound server.

> Png,Jpg,

MPlayer can act as image viewer and can output videos as a sequence of
images.

> Sdl: Provides audio,video,input support (but what exactly it does here?)

Yet another way for audio and video output. (From an old version of MPlayer's
documentation: "we used its X11 driver's software scaler ability for
cards/drivers that doesn't support XVideo, until we made our own (faster,
nicer) software scaler. Also we used its aalib output, but now we have ours
which is more comfortable.")

> Fontconfig: Better font selection for subtitles?

Yes, everything fontconfig provides.

> zlib,bzlib:Helps to compress somethings (what?)

PNG, for example, or zlib encoded mkv tracks.

bzlib seems to be a relic and unused.

> Oggvorbis,libopus. Advantage over ffmpeg decoding? Are they faster?

More of a disadvantage, I guess. FFmpeg is more actively maintained in this
regard.

> libxml2: No idea

Reading DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) files.

> Radio interface: Necessary for radio streaming?

Yep.

> Finally, I have an older Mplayer that I compiled a long time ago without
> passing any external library to it. Yet, it plays many audio/video
> formats files just fine.

So should MPlayer 1.5 do.

> Mplayer's 1.5 configure is telling that there is not support for these,

So does MPlayer 1.3:

/tmp/MPlayer-1.3.0$./configure | egrep "Checking for (libmp3lame|x264|libopus|OggVorbis|libvpx|Xvid)"
Checking for OggVorbis support ... no
Checking for libopus decoding support ... no
Checking for Xvid ... no
Checking for Xvid two pass plugin ... no
Checking for x264 ... no (in FFmpeg: no)
Checking for libvpx ... no
Checking for libmp3lame ... no (in FFmpeg: no)

Some of these are only necessary for mencoder (i.e. encoding). Just configure
with --disable-mencoder and you should be fine, unless you have a special use
case.

> My Mplayer 1.3 can run them all.

So can MPlayer 1.5. FFmpeg is supposed to provide everything necessary for
normal playback.

Ingo