[MPlayer-users] Purpose of some libraries (Openssl,Xv,Xxf86vm)

alexandre schenberg ale.schenberg at yandex.com
Mon Jun 5 04:05:46 EEST 2023

Hi. I am interested in to know the purpose of some libraries that Mplayer probes for during configure's execution. I will mention them and a possible usefulness for each one. In case its incorrect, I would appreciate someone would correct it

OpenSSL: Necessary for internet interaction, such as online streaming.
DirectFB: Framebuffer support with more bells and whitles.
Xv: Improves video playback performance.
Xx86vm: Allows to change stuff such as: brightness,contrast, on the fly.
ALSA audio: More than sound source can play simultaneously.
Pulse:  Might be necessary to allow sound with distortion (over 100% maximum volume), plus some usb headphones to work?
Png,Jpg,
Sdl: Provides audio,video,input support (but what exactly it does here?)
Fontconfig: Better font selection for subtitles?
zlib,bzlib:Helps to compress somethings (what?)
Oggvorbis,libopus. Allows decoding of midia files that use them. Advantage over ffmpeg decoding? Are they faster?
libxml2: No idea
Radio interface: Necessary for radio streaming?

Finally, I have an older Mplayer that I compiled a long time ago without passing any external library to it. Yet, it plays many audio/video formats files just fine. Yet. Mplayer's 1.5 configure is telling that there is not support for these, even if some of them should come with ffmpeg?

These are:

"Checking for libmp3lame ... no (in FFmpeg: no)"
"Checking for x264 ... no (in FFmpeg: no)"
"Checking for libopus decoding support ... no"
"Checking for OggVorbis support ... no"
"Checking for libvpx ... no"
"Checking for Xvid ... no"

Will not Mplayer support these without external libraries? My Mplayer 1.3 can run them all.