[MPlayer-users] Mplayer makes small popping/static sound when speed_set is used

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jul 16 23:50:11 EEST 2023

> On 16 Jul 2023, at 04:34, Brad Hermanson <apeitheo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Over the past two years I've developed a command-line front-end to MPlayer
> called Aletheia that features front-and-center pitch controls using music
> intervals (e.g. 1/12 of an interval for a semitone, but works with any
> EDO), and it utilizes speed_set to adjust. Everything works great; however,
> there is a slight clicking/popping/static sound on a speed_set change.

speed_set reinitializes the audio filter chain to adjust to the new sample rate.
If you give an example of the exact filter chain (or better full command line)
and audio output you are using, there's a better chance someone can take a look
and tell you what goes on.
Maybe you are doing things in a way that results in a sample rate change in
the audio output: then the behaviour would be unsurprising.
Maybe you are already using a resampler to ensure the final rate stays the same,
in that case maybe there's just some logic missing to prevent the rest of the
filter chain from being re-initialized etc.

Best regards,
Reimar