[MPlayer-users] Help ripping old DVD showing errors

max muster steyding at yahoo.de
Sat Jul 8 14:24:17 EEST 2023

 Hello

i think you need to set the cache option:
 "C:\Program Files (x86)\MPlayer\mplayer.exe" -cache 8192 -dvd-device e: -dumpstream DVD://1 -dumpfile dvdout.mpg
That gives mplayer the possibility to read 8MB data ahead from dvd drive and then writes down data to dumpfile.
Regards,Mark

    Am Samstag, 8. Juli 2023 um 00:27:49 MESZ hat Jonathan Crowther <jmcrowther at msn.com> Folgendes geschrieben:

 I am a first-time user, so far from expert.

Using this command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MPlayer\mplayer.exe" -dvd-device e: -dumpstream -nocache DVD://1 -dumpfile dvdout.mpg

I get hundreds of lines all saying:

libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in src/nav_read.c:271 for dsi->dsi_gi.zero1 == 0

(there are other things, too, but this is the most frequent error)

The resulting mpeg file is a pretty good rip of the DVD, but my players (VLC, and Windows Media Player) think the chapter that I ripped is only 18 seconds long, when in fact it's 10 minutes.
However, they do play beyond the 18 second "end" with the time stuck at the end point even though it's still playing beyond the 18 seconds.

Any clue if this looks like something I can get around setting some advanced option of MPlayer?

I realize this is a very old DVD (maybe 20 years) using really old formats.

If I run this command instead:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MPlayer\mencoder.exe" -dvd-device e: -o dvdout5.avi -oac copy -ovc x264 DVD://1

The result is a playable AVI but it discards about half the frames, and leaves a low-quality video (with horizontal line distortion not seen using the first mplayer rip).

Cheers,
Jonathan 🚂