[MPlayer-users] Help ripping old DVD showing errors

Jonathan Crowther jmcrowther at msn.com
Sat Jul 8 01:27:32 EEST 2023

I am a first-time user, so far from expert.

Using this command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MPlayer\mplayer.exe" -dvd-device e: -dumpstream -nocache DVD://1 -dumpfile dvdout.mpg

I get hundreds of lines all saying:

libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in src/nav_read.c:271 for dsi->dsi_gi.zero1 == 0

(there are other things, too, but this is the most frequent error)

The resulting mpeg file is a pretty good rip of the DVD, but my players (VLC, and Windows Media Player) think the chapter that I ripped is only 18 seconds long, when in fact it's 10 minutes.
However, they do play beyond the 18 second "end" with the time stuck at the end point even though it's still playing beyond the 18 seconds.

Any clue if this looks like something I can get around setting some advanced option of MPlayer?

I realize this is a very old DVD (maybe 20 years) using really old formats.

If I run this command instead:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MPlayer\mencoder.exe" -dvd-device e: -o dvdout5.avi -oac copy -ovc x264 DVD://1

The result is a playable AVI but it discards about half the frames, and leaves a low-quality video (with horizontal line distortion not seen using the first mplayer rip).

Cheers,
Jonathan 🚂