[MPlayer-dvb] Re: Is it possible to watch a dvb transmission with mplayer and to record it with mencoder at the same time?

Amos Tibaldi amos.tibaldi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 08:56:34 CET 2006

Nico Sabbi <nsabbi <at> email.it> writes:

> Amos Tibaldi wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >   is there any way to watch one dvb channel with "mplayer
> > dvb://chName" and
> > to start and stop recording when needed with a command like "mencoder -o
> > outfile.avi .... dvb://chName"? I have tried but have had no success. Is
> > there a way to achieve this simultaneous recording? Maybe even with other
> > programs or combination of utilities?
> > The fact is that you cannot know when to stop your recording unless
> > you are
> > also watching the channel.
> >
> > Thanx
>
> there's no way to stop mencoder and resume it with a keypress, but with some
> game with pipes + tee or with the help of dvbstream you can obtain
> something
> resembling what you want.
>
> Maybe try this:
>
> dvbstream -f ... -udp -net 127.0.0.1:5001 pid1 pid2 pid3 ... -net
> 127.0.0.1:5002 pid1 pid2 pid3 &
>
> then on one terminal run
> mencoder .... udp://127.0.0.1:5001
> (suspend and resume it with ^Z and fg, it should work)
>
> on the other terminal run
> mplayer udp://127.0.0.1:5002
>
> /end of poor man guide to mplayerdvr :)

unfortunately dvbstream does not accept more than one "-i 127.0.0.1 -r 5001"
option. So I tried "-i 224.0.0.1 -r 5001" but mplayer does not play so good
(it loses many frames and the playback is often corrupted)
and mencoder refuses to use the same "rtp://224.0.0.1:5001" of mplayer. They
don't use the same play address at the same time. It is very strange.

Maybe this is caused by the fact that I run on a slow 700Mhz cpu all the
programs at the same time, do you agree?

Thanks anyway.

Amos Tibaldi
amos dot tibaldi at gmail dot com