[MPlayer-dvb] Is it possible to watch a dvb transmission withmplayer and to record it with mencoder at the same time?

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Tue Nov 7 16:16:54 CET 2006

Amos Tibaldi wrote:

> Hello,
>   is there any way to watch one dvb channel with "mplayer
> dvb://chName" and
> to start and stop recording when needed with a command like "mencoder -o
> outfile.avi .... dvb://chName"? I have tried but have had no success. Is
> there a way to achieve this simultaneous recording? Maybe even with other
> programs or combination of utilities?
> The fact is that you cannot know when to stop your recording unless
> you are
> also watching the channel.
>
> Thanx

there's no way to stop mencoder and resume it with a keypress, but with some
game with pipes + tee or with the help of dvbstream you can obtain
something
resembling what you want.

Maybe try this:

dvbstream -f ... -udp -net 127.0.0.1:5001 pid1 pid2 pid3 ... -net
127.0.0.1:5002 pid1 pid2 pid3 &

then on one terminal run
mencoder .... udp://127.0.0.1:5001
(suspend and resume it with ^Z and fg, it should work)

on the other terminal run
mplayer udp://127.0.0.1:5002

/end of poor man guide to mplayerdvr :)