[Mplayer-dvb] Noises while using AC3 over DVB

Sebastian Schöps sebastian at schoeps.org
Mon Feb 9 15:30:39 CET 2004

Nico wrote:

> Sebastian Schöps wrote:
>
>> Nico schrieb:
>>
>>> -hwac3 just copies the audio stream  from the demuxer to the hw-ac3
>>> passthru;
>>> since you may be using 3 different demuxers (PS, TS, AVI) I can't
>>> believe that all of them have the same bug,
>>> so either it's a bug in the hwac3 audio-out or your speakers have
>>> some problem; are you sure other programs always
>>> play those multichannel audio files correctly?
>>
>> I tried to play a DVD (DD5.1) via mplayer and the dvd-plugin from VDR
>> (http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~aschultz/dvd/). Only the mplayer
>> produces the noise in the center speaker. So the question is, what
>> makes the difference between this plugin and mplayer. Do you have a
>> similar configuration (vdr,dvd,ac3,..)?
>
> no external AC3 decoder,  and I haven't used VDR for a long time (I used
> xvxine as output device)

I seems like we cannot solve this problem. I'm wondering, that nobody
else have it.
I have recompiled mplayer several times and tested even older versions.
There has to be an incompatibility somewhere. My next step is
downgrading to kernel 2.4.x.

>> I have no other players to check, but I think it's obvious, that the
>> problem is mplayer related. Maybe the new kernel is the reason? I'm
>> using mplayer for a long time and this problem is new to me.
>>
>>> Can you please try to use -novideo instead of -vo mpegpes?
>>> Recently someone discovered a bug triggered when you used -vo mpegpes
>>> with -ao != mpegpes, but it
>>> manifested itself in a different way; maybe they are unrelated, but
>>> trying doesn't hurt.
>>
>> I don't have any sound, when using "-novideo".
>
> this is very strange: you should hear sound. And if you use both -vo
> mpegpes -ao mpegpes ?
"mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -ac hwac3 dd.vob"
--> audio&video
"mplayer -novideo -ao mpegpes -ac hwac3 dd.vob"
-->  no audio & no video
"mplayer -novideo -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -ac hwac3 dd.vob"
--> no audio & strange video

Bye
-Sebastian