[Mplayer-dvb] dvbin working with vdr controling channel changing?

Juha juhis at trinity.is-a-geek.com
Wed Oct 15 07:17:16 CEST 2003

Hi Nico,

> >>I was wondering that is it possible to use dvb input so, that it leaves
> >>the control of the mpeg stream to vdr (ie. no channels.conf in .mplayer
> >>required), so I could still use vdr's recording functionality. mplayer
> >>

> At most (with a big MAYBE) you can tell mplayer to manage all the tuning
> (which I guess
> isn't much different from VDR's , except the diseqc management code) and
> stream the TS to
> VDR, but you have to decide who manages the low level stuf (tuning) and
> who the display,
> and roles can't intermix

Apparently my first message wasn't the best description, I'll try again,
this time hopefully with better luck ;) Mind you, that this is all new
to me, I'm clueless.

Anyway, I have a Siemens premium dvb-c card with a mpeg decoder and a
tv-out. VDR works very well for me for watching tv and recording from
it. But to be able to use the onboard tv-out with it, the content must
be in mpeg1/2 format (as it is in case of dvb television). Now, if one
wants to watch a mpeg4 encoded movie, one has to first transcode the
mpeg4 stream to mpeg2 and the feed it to the tv-out.

Well, I don't have the cpu power for that, so this is what I thought.
Let vdr handle everything the way it used to do, but plug the tv
connector to the tv-out of my videocard (a matrox G400) istead of the
onboard tv-out of the dvb card. Then read the videostream that the dvb
card mpeg decoder produces to the v4l device with mplayer and output it
to televison.

Does that make any sense? I guess that's alot like the analog cards with
a mpeg decoder work, right? I also know that at least the tv watching
program tvtime (http://tvtime.sf.net) can read the v4l device that
premium dvb cards, in addition to the analog cards it supports, produce.

> >>That way I could have all the functionality of vdr but using
> >>'-vo dfbmga' instead of the tv-out of my dvb-c card for output to tv and
> >>
> I don't follow you here: what is dfbmga? I guess it's FB access to your
> Matrox card, right?

Sort of, it's the directfb output for the matrox second head.

> >>gain the ability watch eg. divx movies without transcoding them to
> >>mpeg1. Would be totally awesome!!
> >>

> elaborate, please, this is really obscure to me.

see above.