[Mplayer-dvb] dvbin working with vdr controling channel changing?

Nico nsabbi at libero.it
Tue Oct 14 21:53:36 CEST 2003

Hi,

I don't know how the analog emulation of full-featured cards work, as I
have only a budget card,
but I can answer your first message:

>>I was wondering that is it possible to use dvb input so, that it leaves
>>the control of the mpeg stream to vdr (ie. no channels.conf in .mplayer
>>required), so I could still use vdr's recording functionality. mplayer

At most (with a big MAYBE) you can tell mplayer to manage all the tuning
(which I guess
isn't much different from VDR's , except the diseqc management code) and
stream the TS to
VDR, but you have to decide who manages the low level stuf (tuning) and
who the display,
and roles can't intermix

>>would read the overlay from v4l device and output the picture to
>>television?

do you mean that VDR should pass the on-board decoders the mpeg stream
it receives from mplayer,
then mplayer should read the V4L device which should contain the
uncompressed stream?
This path is overly complicated, and there seem to be too much
interlocking (I don't even know if
it's possible).

>>That way I could have all the functionality of vdr but using
>>'-vo dfbmga' instead of the tv-out of my dvb-c card for output to tv and

I don't follow you here: what is dfbmga? I guess it's FB access to your
Matrox card, right?

>>gain the ability watch eg. divx movies without transcoding them to
>>mpeg1. Would be totally awesome!!

elaborate, please, this is really obscure to me.

>>Thank's in advance,
>>
>>Juha

BTW, sooner or later I will try to add some timeshifting capability to
mplayer.
As far as recording is concerned: that I know mencoder is the only free
program
that can record as a  recompressed stream (e.g. avi with xvid), and with
mplayer you can  dump
the stream and see the movie being  dumped with a second instance of
mplayer.

It's clumsy but it works.

Nico