[Mplayer-dvb] low processor power for divx view

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Oct 26 16:55:57 CEST 2002

Hi,

> If I do not have a powerfull enough processor to make the transcoding a
> divx file to dvb is there a possibility to make the process in two steps
> ? So make the transcoding offline and afterthes view the MPEG3 file over
> dvb card , maybe using vdr ?

yes

mplayer -vo mpegpes:tmpfile.mpg -vop lavc=8000,... ...

then in 2nd pass you can play it:

mplayer -vo mpegpes tmpfile.mpg

note that 1st pass will create *huge* file, around 1MByte/second!

you can also transcode it to mpeg1 avi with mencoder, using P/B frames, so
it will be much smaller file with same quality (but processing took longer).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team