[Mplayer-dvb] success but bad quality

M. Fiegert Margit.Fiegert at t-online.de
Wed Nov 6 20:00:31 CET 2002

Hello,

I`m trying to compress parts of my vdr archive to divx. These are my
first real experiments with mplayer.
Conversion vdr->mpeg4 with mencoder was successfull, playing these files
with mplayer on vga is perfect.

Playing over dvb-s works, but there are annoying  sound disturbances and
the speed (audio and video in sync) seems to change, sometimes jump a
little. CPU about 30% looks good.

In one test this was the same all over the video, in another test
(sound) quality depended very much on the scene:
Eg a phoenix recording of a parlament discussion:
        intro with music: perfect
        moderator: very much distorted
        speech of Mr. Schroeder: almost perfect

Interesting experiment:
Playing just the video over dvb-s, the sound via alsa brings perfect
sound but a still picture most of the time (and the message the computer
is too slow).

System: P4 2,26 GHz 845G 512MB 1* DVB-s (1 nova disabled)
mplayer: cvs snapshot 3.11.02

What i did (in this case a dv avi file, but it`s the same with vdr files
as source):

mencoder   in.avi    -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts
vbr=3
mencoder   in.avi    -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1 -oac copy
-o out.avi -vop scale=360:288
mencoder   in.avi    -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2 -oac copy
-o out.avi -vop scale=360:288

mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -vop scale=720:576 lavc out.avi

Can anybody give me some hope that this can be improved?
(compressing the archive and live playing small files over dvb-s was one
reason to buy this fast computer, but
currently this doesn`t look promising.)

Greetings

  Michael