[Mplayer-dvb] audio and video out of sync :-(

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Oct 29 00:49:49 CET 2001

Hi,

> > hmm. 2 big differences:
> > - i'm using old dvb driver snapshot, not cvs one
> > - i'm talking about divx playabck, not mpeg 1/2 (it's simple passthrough)
>
> Oh. You kinda confused me now. Audio playback is currently *always* via
> soundcard, no matter what codec is used, right ?
> For what you said above I had the impression that audio in MPEG1/2-stream
> was sent to the DVB-card for output.

No. audio is always decoded by mplayer and played by soundcard.
It comes from mplayer's design - audio and video are separated at demuxer
level. It's the main reason why is no audio-via-dvb support commited yet. I
have to do big design changes in both demuxer and timing (a-v sync) layer.

The quick'n'dirty way is implementing ao_dvb which passes audio to the stream
opened by vo_mpegpes, but i won't keep this code - too messy.

The main problem is that mplayer was designed for software playback. It has
its own timers, and everything is synced to the soundcard. I have to give
this up to get hardware decoders work well.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu