[MPlayer-DOCS] Some points for cd-dvd.xml

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 16 20:07:58 CET 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:07:06AM +0100, Jiri Heryan wrote:
> About a line 31 in cd-dvd.xml is sugested to use "hdparm" or "cdspeed"
> for slow down IDE-CDROMs and few lines after is something like there is
> no solution for  SCSI drives.
>
> I've no experience with cdspeed but hdparm failing with IDE-CD if you
> use an IDE-SCSI emulation for cd writer. Best solution (after hard

it works for me with both scsi (real scsi, not emulation) and ide
cdrom drives.

> searching) is set a speed=<speed> option to mount command. This work
> better for me than hdparm even in native ATAPI with my writer, because

this is good for when you're mounting the cd to play, but fails when
you want to use dvd:// or vcd:// without mounting. it would be nice if
mplayer could also set the speed when using dvd/vcd.

> this drive resets its speed setting with every cd exchange so it need
> run hdparm many times (boring and slow).

imnsho this is an idiotic kernel bug. the kernel should remember your
settings...

> Next we should point reasonable speed settings because all drives do not
> support many speeds. For example my cd writer supports about 15 various
> speeds but my previous toshiba cd-rom could be set to 14x and 40x only,
> so if  I set 24x it turn out as 40x (noisy) but after I set it <=14x ,
> it slowed down.
>
> In my experience is 8x speed reasonable minimum and 24x reasonable
> maximum with noise under fans level.
>
> Any ideas?

yeah, set it barely above the speed you need to read a movie. keep in
mind 1x is 1.2 megabit/sec, so 8x is probably enough for any sane
movie file, and 12x is certainly safe. lower values would be ok with
large -cache sizes.

rich