[MPlayer-DOCS] Some points for cd-dvd.xml

Jiri Heryan technik at domotech.cz
Wed Feb 16 10:07:06 CET 2005

About a line 31 in cd-dvd.xml is sugested to use "hdparm" or "cdspeed"
for slow down IDE-CDROMs and few lines after is something like there is
no solution for  SCSI drives.

I've no experience with cdspeed but hdparm failing with IDE-CD if you
use an IDE-SCSI emulation for cd writer. Best solution (after hard
searching) is set a speed=<speed> option to mount command. This work
better for me than hdparm even in native ATAPI with my writer, because
this drive resets its speed setting with every cd exchange so it need
run hdparm many times (boring and slow).

Maybe it is a solution for SCSI drives too. I can't prove it myself,
have no native SCSI.

Next we should point reasonable speed settings because all drives do not
support many speeds. For example my cd writer supports about 15 various
speeds but my previous toshiba cd-rom could be set to 14x and 40x only,
so if  I set 24x it turn out as 40x (noisy) but after I set it <=14x ,
it slowed down.

In my experience is 8x speed reasonable minimum and 24x reasonable
maximum with noise under fans level.

Any ideas?

Jiri