[MPlayer-dev-eng] offer to include gopher protocol support

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Sun Jan 19 18:40:05 EET 2020

Hi Lauri!

On 2020-01-19 09:39 +0200, Lauri Kasanen wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 22:04:41 +0100
> Alexander Strasser <eclipse7 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > After looking at that list I noticed https is in there, since some time.
> > It makes sense as AFAIK we don't support it with MPlayer's http modules,
> > though it seems a bit unexpected from a user's end, that consuming a
> > stream, even the "same stream", via https will switch the underlying
> > implementation.
>
> This has the downside that http-to-https redirects don't work.
>
> mplayer http://...
> Unsupported http 301 redirect to https protocol
>
> While direct https:// plays.

That's a good point! I didn't even think about the redirection use case.

I fear redirection with stream_ffmpeg might not work or not work for all
protocols. That would need to be tested for http/https and if necessary
implemented.

Then we could IMHO make stream_ffmpeg the preferred handler for
http/https. We should compare the implementations a bit deeper to
decide if there are enough benefits to keep our http there in the
long run.

  Alexander