[MPlayer-dev-eng] DxVA in MPlayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Nov 24 00:53:08 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 05:47:57PM -0500, Laurent wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 03:17:48PM -0500, Laurent wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> * MPC-HT does not play smoothly, but decodes all frames with ~10% CPU.
> >> * VLC performed better than in my previous tests, thanks to
> >> compositing being disabled.
> >>   Note that VLC has a decoding bug with Intel decoders, but that is
> >> not really relevant ATM.
>
> I wander if VLC does not try to drop things, as it plays the video
> within the original duration, while MPC-HT does not.

You can configure that, but frame dropping has a good chance of
messing things up completely without actually saving anything,
particularly with H.264.

> > I'm not going to ask you to try MPlayer ;-), even though I'd be curious,
>
> It plays slooow (no worse than VLC, I think), ~45% CPU, with 1 core
> highly used...

Something's broken, it should never play slow unless one CPU is
really 100% used.
-vo gl:swapinterval=0 might be worth a try, but it's not optimized
for GMA500 and was actually never tested at all on Windows with Intel...
Of course skiploopfilter could be used to exclude the decoder as bottleneck.
If you can, one interesting trick is also to reduce the screen refresh rate,
reducing the memory bandwidth the display eats up.
But I guess this all isn't particularly relevant to DXVA.