[MPlayer-dev-eng] DxVA in MPlayer

Laurent laurent.aml at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:40:07 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 05:47:57PM -0500, Laurent wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Reimar Döffinger
> You can configure that, but frame dropping has a good chance of
> messing things up completely without actually saving anything,
> particularly with H.264.
>
>> > I'm not going to ask you to try MPlayer ;-), even though I'd be curious,
>>
>> It plays slooow (no worse than VLC, I think), ~45% CPU, with 1 core
>> highly used...
>
> Something's broken, it should never play slow unless one CPU is
> really 100% used.

I would say MPlayer takes 100% of 1 HT core, which windows translate
to 50% of CPU utilization, while the HT core is actually taking nearly
100% of the real CPU.
MPlayer does indeed reports 99% of CPU usage for decoding with
vo=null, from the status line.
It reports 80% for video codec and 120% for d3d video out.

> -vo gl:swapinterval=0 might be worth a try, but it's not optimized
> for GMA500 and was actually never tested at all on Windows with Intel...

-vo gl simply does not work (blank white window), neither does gl2
(freeze on first frame).

> Of course skiploopfilter could be used to exclude the decoder as bottleneck.
> If you can, one interesting trick is also to reduce the screen refresh rate,

It makes no visible difference to me.

-- Laurent