[MPlayer-dev-eng] Plugin for Graphics in Music Playing Mode

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Jul 5 14:03:39 CEST 2010

Hi,

> I wanna know if someone is making a plugin (or
> something) to visualize something cool (other than
> just chars) when playing music, like those for XMMS or
> WinAMP.
>
> If yes, let me know who and the actual stage of
> development.

afaik no one

> If no, where could I get info about where (in the
> internal MPlayer structure) to get the song info

this is the main problem.
as soon as compressed audio/video left the demuxer, they
never meet again. audio goes to audio codec, then audio
filters and finally audio out. same for video.

no way to use audio data for generating video data.

so, to implement it you have to do messy hacks or make
big architectural changes in the code.

i like your idea, but i don't even have idea how to
implement it cleanly in mplayer design.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team