[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] EOSD improvements

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Aug 1 23:25:33 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 11:03:12PM +0200, Grigori Goronzy wrote:
> On 08/01/2010 10:12 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > The point is to get a working design _first_ and then built up the
> > rest instead of first adding RGBA support, doing changes all over the
> > place and the realizing that you missed a major issue and it won't
> > work at all and we have a bunch of useless code that we won't be able
> > to use in any way.
>
> I don't really agree.
> Adding RGBA support to vo_vdpau and vf_ass is not hard. I'm not sure
> about vo_gl, you probably know better.
> Why invest lots of time and work in crazy and inefficient hacks to have
> "something" working with current infrastructure? I don't see the point.

You are missing two points:
1) I first and mainly only suggested making it work with the current
   luminance-alpha which should be a good idea anyway and not much effort.
2) For DVDs I think it's likely to be at least not significantly less
   efficient, possibly even more efficient to do one render pass per
   palette - but anyway that was just an additional idea.

> Low-level RGBA support in EOSD can be tested independently of
> libass/spudec/et al.

I thought I said clearly the low-level support is _not_ my concern,
my concern is that we might end up with working but _useless_ low-level
support because the high-level stuff (time stamp handling etc.) might
mean it does not work for any of the cases we want to have it working.
Or to put it differently: I suggest to implement a as simple as possible
proof-of-concept that does something useful before starting with API-level
work.
Of course I only suggest this because I expect it to be minimal to
no additional work overall.