[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] EOSD improvements

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Aug 1 10:12:09 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 12:47:09AM +0200, Grigori Goronzy wrote:
> On 08/01/2010 12:47 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > Note that a second step could be to then push one ASS-compatible bitmap
> > per palette entry, which should allow fully working, colored DVD
> > subtitles with "only" 4 rendering passes.
> > PGS is a bit unrealistic this way, it might require 256 passes...
> >

> IMHO adding RGBA bitmap support to EOSD is the only real solution...
> Everything else is a hack.

The point is to get a working design _first_ and then built up the
rest instead of first adding RGBA support, doing changes all over the
place and the realizing that you missed a major issue and it won't
work at all and we have a bunch of useless code that we won't be able
to use in any way.
I cannot see much going wrong with adding RGBA support, except it being
(possibly a lot) of busy work, thus I would suggest it as a _last_ step,
after verifying that the design either works or can be made working with
reasonable effort.