[MPlayer-dev-eng] MEncoder: libass support (patch)

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed Nov 7 12:26:40 CET 2007

Le sextidi 16 brumaire, an CCXVI, Uoti Urpala a écrit :
> The way it tries to handle A/V sync (which is badly broken),

Could you point me to the part of the code that handles it, both in mplayer
and mencoder? I would like to understand how it work.

>					    I'm not sure whether it would
> be realistic to try keeping such a reimplementation of MEncoder
> basically as an MPlayer vo compatible with the current MEncoder.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that this is the only way
to go to avoid mencoder bitroting.

The way I see it, here is what happen: someone adds a cool feature, and does
it in mplayer because this is the simplest way to get things working soon.
Somewhat later, someone else adapts the code to work with mencoder, sharing
most of the code. But not all of it, because of small differences in the
context. And so doing, he increases the amount of differences, and reduces
the possibility to share code for the next cool feature.

That is exactly what happened with the ASS patch I updated: the add_subtitle
function should have been shared, but it could not, because mplayer and
mencoder do not have the same notion of playlist.

So, obviously, unifying them would take a huge amount of work, but so would
a "major rewrite" of mencoder. And I think the former could be more
progressive.

But just for mow, I would like to have a better idea of what exactly would
be needed.

> Not guaranteed IIRC but I think that in practice you can rely on it for
> ints. For floats it depends on what kind of comparison you want - zero
> and negative zero compare equal with == but not with memcmp while two
> NaNs compare equal with memcmp but not with ==.

Thanks for the details. That seems reliable enough for a hash function in
this case. Here is an updated patch.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George