[MPlayer-dev-eng] MEncoder: libass support (patch)

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Tue Nov 6 18:13:21 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 14:02 +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> Is there much in mencoder that is not already in mplayer? I can see the
> -ofps handling, -vobsubout and -o[av]c copy, and a few small tuning options.

The way it tries to handle A/V sync (which is badly broken), highres edl
seek. Also even though there aren't many highlevel features that
wouldn't be in MPlayer already there are still quite a lot of details
that would need work when combining them. I'm not sure whether it would
be realistic to try keeping such a reimplementation of MEncoder
basically as an MPlayer vo compatible with the current MEncoder.

> Writing a proper fix require to write a glyph_compare function, which is
> quite trivial, and a glyph_hash function, which may be less annoying that I
> first thought. I will try to do something if I have time soon.
>
> Do you happen to remember if it is guaranteed that memcmp is a valid
> comparison for integers? For floats?

Not guaranteed IIRC but I think that in practice you can rely on it for
ints. For floats it depends on what kind of comparison you want - zero
and negative zero compare equal with == but not with memcmp while two
NaNs compare equal with memcmp but not with ==.