[MPlayer-dev-eng] Error when linking with libass support

Sun Jun 18 16:14:47 CEST 2006

Hi Uoti Urpala!

 On 2006.06.18 at 16:50:55 +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote next:

> > libass/libass.a(ass_render.o)(.text+0x341d): In function `ass_render_event':
> > ass_render.c: undefined reference to `FT_GlyphSlot_Oblique'
> >
> > It used to work some time before.
> >
> > I have freetype 2.1.9, it's the latest FC4 update. It doesn't export
> > such symbol. Maybe the newest freetype does, but it's a pretty critical
> > system component and it can break a lot, so upgrading is not an option.
>
> It seems to be part of freetype 2.1.10, current configure check is only
> for 2.1.8 so that needs to be updated. Since it's only used in one place
> disabling the functionality under older freetype might be possible but I
> don't particularly like the idea of adding #ifdefs to support old
> library versions.

2.1.10? It's much too new. Why don't you look which freetype version
is available for stable versions of most distributions? Requirement to
"download and compile the very latest version of XXX for feature YYY to
work" was never among mplayer's characteristics, why start doing it now?

Maybe it could be affordable if it was about some rare library, but
freetype is known to break things on upgrades due to heavy changes in
API - a lot of things are added/removed much too often. Probably there
is a reason why 2.1.10 isn't available in most distrubutions, too.

--

Vladimir