[MPlayer-dev-eng] Demuxer development questions

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Fri Jun 11 04:11:01 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'd like to significantly expand the Raw DV demuxer; I have a blessing
from the original author.

However I have questions for which I could not find answers in the docs.
Perhaps it's just me and the answers are there; in this case, I'd be
very thankful for a pointer.

So the questions are:

- Is there a way to pass options to a demuxer? (I mean, let the user
specify options that will be passed to it).

- Is there a way for a demuxer to create a subtitle layer, along with a
video layer? If so, how does the demuxer tell MPlayer that a subtitle
layer is present, and where could I get the description of the format in
which it should be given?

Thanks for any answers!

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

P.S. For those interested, here's what I want to do:

- Add an option to support streams/fifos (for use with stdin or
pseudo-files made with mkfifo). With this option no seeks will ever be
done. This is very useful for realtime encoding from an IEEE1394 source
(streaming from dvgrab)

- Add an option to decode the date/time code on every frame, and add it
as a subtitle layer. DV does store this information in frames.