[MPlayer-dev-eng] more NUT questions

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Apr 15 22:37:10 CEST 2004

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> This is the correct behaviour, but I don't think it's necessarily
>> the case, any more than people put (say) XviD in OGM instead of
>> XviD in AVI in OGM. I believe that what is considerably more likely
>> to happen, given the tendency towards the latter, is that people
>> encode a Vorbis file separately (which then ends up in its own Ogg
>> container) and then mux *that* file, container and all, into an
>> OGM.
>
> The four tools I know that can create OGMs (my ogmtools, Cyrius'
> ogmtools, the DShow OgmMuxer or whatever it is called, VDubMod) do
> not put Ogg inside OGM/Ogg. They put the Vorbis stream into the
> destination file, just like it's supposed to happen.

Hmm. Well enough, then - I didn't expect all of the OGM muxers to be
sensible enough to behave that way, particularly not given what I
remember having heard about OGM to begin with (and my somewhat
irrational lack of trust for things Windows-based, even open ones).

What are the source locations for (and the differences between) the two
sets of ogmtools? I've got the ones from Xiph CVS, but would certainly
be interested in any other possible source of progress and/or
improvement. (Though of course I'd prefer to mux video into Ogg, rather
than using the reportedly-not-quite-Ogg OGM...)

>> so I'd be very surprised, since there are AFAIK no Vorbis encoders
>> which do not also automatically mux the resulting audio into an Ogg
>> and hence no way to get "clean" Vorbis for muxing into another
>> file.
>
> Unlike FLAC no one uses Vorbis without some container around it.

Yes, I know - I hadn't thought that through. I was working on the
assumption that "the file which is passed as audio stream to the muxer
is placed verbatim in the multiplexed file", which would require for
muxing purposes a non-containered stream. Fortunately that assumption
turns out to have been false.

>> Warning: Simply because I argue an issue does not mean I agree with
>> any side of it.
>
> ;)

I'm always so tickled whenever someone replies to my .sig....

I resurrected this line recently for Usenet; it's not as true as it used
to be, but the basic principle still applies.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.