[MPlayer-dev-eng] [DOCS] XML transition

Dmitry Baryshkov mitya at school.ioffe.ru
Wed Oct 8 09:08:39 CEST 2003

Hello,
On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 10:50, Torinthiel wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 02:05:07AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > It is time.
> [cut]
> >
> > I suggest removing French HTML soon.  But that still leaves
> >
> > German
> > Hungarian
> > Italian
> > Polish
> > Chinese
> >
> > as HTML only.  So translators please speak up, will it be possible for
> > you to translate the XML version anytime soon?  Would it help you if
> > we kept the HTML version for some time?
> Polish translation is more than 50% done. And we are doing it pure XML,
> as we have started when this was the preffered standard. We were
> thinking about syncing the HTML version later, but now I think it's
> useless (lucky we ;) About keeping html in syns - it's just my private
> opinion, we don't care about it, but isn't it easier to translate only
> language, not language and format? Translating from html to xml involves
> translating text AND maintaining proper XML tags.
Yes... When translating to Russian (we had some files translated in HTML
format) it was even easier (and faster) to do cut-n-paste from partially
outdated text docs, than from HTML files :)

About keeping HTML translations:
What about moving them to /outdated CVS, when entering 1.0RC stage?

BTW: There is another question: what should we ship in release tarballs?
 Only XML files, or XML and generated HTML files?

--
With best wishes
Dmitry Baryshkov