[MPlayer-dev-eng] Change to new vm86? (VESA not working on newer glibc:s)

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at hut.fi
Thu Jun 19 13:03:33 CEST 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:

> The comments are wrong too, syscall#113 is the _vm86old()_, which is
> implemented there in inline assembly, and SHOULD always work!

But it does not, see an strace at:
http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-February/029416.html
(vm86old function not implemented)

> I prefer to remove the whole code, and only use the new vm86() call,
> throught libc!

I can't get that working in any way. Trying an assembler syscall 166
the mplayer crashes, and trying with libc vm86() it always returns -1
(failure) with an errno of 14 (EFAULT / Bad address?) and mplayer exists
with VESA failer = 0x4fff. I tried various things, eg.
vm86(VM86_ENTER,&context.vm).

Does anyone with newer glibc:s get this working? And if, please tell
how so it can be fixed..

-TJ